Senior Associate, International
Senior Associate, International (Telecoms and Competition Policy)
Home/Office Based (with national and international travel)
Ofcom’s duties and responsibilities are heavily influenced by global policy and legislative developments, as well as technological and commercial developments in the sectors we regulate, all of which determine and inform what we do and how we do it. Moreover, our ability to secure outcomes for consumers increasingly requires that we co-ordinate with other countries and engage with different actors internationally. In some areas, we represent the UK internationally, under a direction from Government, and Ofcom dedicates significant resources to international engagement.
Purpose of the Role
- Help ensure Ofcom engages with and contributes to the development of telecoms and competition policy at regional and global levels
- Provide strategic international context to Ofcom’s own policy work, to help Ofcom learn from the experiences of counterparts in other countries
- Support Ofcom’s strategic international engagement programme
You will engage with relevant overseas regulators and regional and international bodies, and with other international stakeholders (such as think tanks and stakeholder organisations), on relevant telecoms and competition policy topics. You will also work closely with colleagues within Ofcom, to ensure that the international perspective is reflected in the organisation’s work.
Requirements of the Role
- Being responsible for a ‘regulatory intelligence’ strategy – proactively keeping across international developments in telecoms and competition policy and regulation, identifying market trends and developments, considering how these might impact on Ofcom’s wider work
- Cultivating relationships with regulators and policymakers internationally, to understand and influence international policy and regulatory developments and to ensure Ofcom can continue to learn from their experience
In particular, following the UK’s exit from the EU, be responsible for managing Ofcom’s continued relationship with BEREC/IRG, including:
- Closely following the development and delivery of the BEREC work programme, including with a view to input into its delivery as appropriate
- Co-ordinating Ofcom’s continued participation in the Independent Regulators’ Group (IRG)
- Cultivating and managing continued relationships on topics of mutual interest
- Providing support to Ofcom’s representation in international bodies, such as the ITU’s Standardisation Sector (ITU-T, whose current areas of work include 5G architecture and the Internet of Things), and its involvement in the OECD (where Ofcom is currently vice-chair of the Working Party on Communication Infrastructures and Services Policy - CISP).
- Based on that, developing a strategic programme of work for Ofcom’s international engagement around telecoms and competition policy issues, to support Ofcom’s strategic priorities and programme of work.
- Working closely with our Public Policy Team, building and cultivating relationships with key UK Government officials working on telecoms and competition policy issues, to ensure that Ofcom can serve as expert advisor on elements of relevant Government policy.
- Working flexibly within the International Team on a range of other policy issues, as required.
At present, many of the international meetings that this role might involve are being held online. However, if/when physical meetings resume, this role will involve travel within and potentially outside continental Europe.
Skills, knowledge and experience
We are looking for a proactive and enthusiastic individual with a can-do attitude who will thrive working as part of a diverse team and in a fast-paced environment. In particular, you will need to have:
- A genuine desire to be part of something bigger than yourself, to make a difference and be part of creating a legacy
- Expertise and practical experience of telecoms regulation and competition policy issues, and an interest in how regulation will develop as the telecoms sector evolves in the future
- An understanding of the UK regulatory environment and how Ofcom’s international work contributes to the achievement of its strategic objectives
- The ability to master new areas quickly
- An eye for the strategic implications of international political and policy developments, including the ability to spot opportunities and threats for Ofcom policy development
- Strong and demonstrated analytical skills, including quantitative, and the ability to cut through complex issues to see and communicate the bigger picture
- The ability to understand the political dimension to policy issues, and make judgments balancing policy and political considerations in a pragmatic manner to achieve strategic objectives
- Demonstrated experience in handling a variety of stakeholders in different environments
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills, including cultural awareness, so that you can establish and maintain good working relationships internally and externally, particularly with regulators and stakeholders in other countries
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to manage a varied and demanding workload and prioritise resources effectively in an agile manner, being flexible and adaptable to changing or ambiguous circumstances
- A demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, concisely and confidently to a variety of audiences, both orally and in written form
To apply for the role of Senior Associate, International (Telecoms and Competition Policy), please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Senior International Policy Associate, Senior Telecoms Policy Advisor, Senior Telecommunications Policy Consultant, Lead Policy Advisor, Senior Competition Policy Associate, or Senior International Policy Advisor.