About the job
Do you have experience in applying statistics, text analytics, machine learning, or data engineering to data focussed tasks? Are you passionate about applying your expertise to participate in cutting edge analysis and research within the UK Government's Defence and Security domains?
Are you interested in developing your technical career in an exciting and growing area?
If the answer to these questions is yes, we want to hear from you!
Dstl’s Exploration Division identifies and accelerates the delivery of transformative technology, systems, concepts and strategy for Defence and Security. Our Data Science teams enable this through the application of novel approaches to a variety of data-rich and complex Defence and Security problem areas to support strategic and operational level decision makers. We achieve this by using our own expertise; working in partnership with industry and academia; advising customers and stakeholders on valuing and exploiting data; and helping others to develop their own skills. Our data scientists very much work as a community. We work in multidisciplinary teams as the norm, valuing the different skillsets and experience our people bring together.
In this role you will:
• Create impact whilst supporting strategic and operational decision-making.
• Design and implement credible analytical tools and Machine Learning approaches using best practice to generate reproducible work.
• Explore and visualise data to present its story in a meaningful way to technical and non-technical audiences.
• Support customers and project teams to understand where data science can add new value.
• Work with Industry and Academia by partnering with them to ensure that the tasks we place remain on track, are of high quality and receive the benefit of internal expertise.
• Maintain an understanding of data science in the external environment by influencing and contributing to industry, academia, other government departments and international research collaboration initiatives.
• Inform across Government, including potentially briefing senior officials to ensure robust decision making within government.
• Keep abreast of the latest developments in data science and actively contribute to capability development.
• Guide and direct the work of others, through technical leadership, to ensure delivery of high impact science and technology.
• Review approaches and outputs ensuring that outputs are technically robust, and follows legal and ethical requirements.
The balance across these will vary across the different career levels with the main focus being towards the top of the list at Level 4, and bottom of the list at Level 6.
We are looking for someone who has some of the following:
• A strong focus on learning new skills and techniques in order to keep current and continue their own professional development.
• A passion to drive forward the adoption of novel techniques by others.
• Experience in, and enthusiasm for, undertaking programming and its application to Data Science or Artificial Intelligence (AI) problems.
• A motivation to apply critical thinking and problem solving in order to have a positive impact on the defence and security of the UK.
• Experience of bringing new insights through analysis of qualitative and quantitative data, through the application of statistical approaches.
• Experience of data engineering such as extracting, transforming and loading data through a pipeline.
• A talent for creating impactful visualisations.
• The ability to work collaboratively to deliver results.
• The ability to proactively form and manage relationships with a broad range of customers.
• Experience leading others, maintaining output focus and technical quality.
Dstl is strongly encouraging blended and flexible working either at one of our sites or from home or both. We want to empower you to undertake your duties at the most appropriate location for the task, however you will be allocated a Dstl site as a base. You may be required to travel to other Dstl and MoD sites as required.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
We will require successful applicants to undergo security checks which Dstl will organise. This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years. If you would like more information about this process please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team Dstrecruitment@dstl.gov.uk
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Developing Self and Others
Communicating and Influencing
Changing and Improving
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Please explain the breadth and depth of your proficiency using Python (including use of NumPy, Pandas, Jupyter Notebook and Matplotlib) or R (including use of the tidyverse and RMarkdown), to undertake data science.
What coverage of skill do you have in any of the following, please provide examples where possible: • Statistics • Text analytics • Machine learning • Data Engineering
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
- Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month
- Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
- Chartership and accreditation support.
- Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
- A competitive salary.
- Onsite gyms and restaurants.
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities